Over the many years, I've come up with expressions that I use regularly.
Think of them as one minute philosophies. Feel free to quote if it makes
- It must be a diversity issue.
Applies to almost any situation with differences (of opinion
- Just because we can do something, it doesn't mean we have to.
Applies to a) taking on too much and b) creeping elegance on the internet.
(FYI, I prefer ASCII text only in e-mail!)
- We're all a product of our own experience but we forget that
others are a product of theirs.
- The opposite of control is empowerment.
This could also go in the next two categories. I know why and how
people can become control freaks (see above) but we all need to
look honestly at the result on others, especially children.
Mostly from Girl Scout experiences
- You lose most of your body heat from your head and your feet.
Usually proceded or followed by "where's your hat?"
- If you don't want to get dirty, don't go camping.
- It's not about blame, it's about joint responsibility.
Actually, if we all took this approach, we could fix problems faster
General life experiences
- If you can't park it, don't drive it!
Often muttered when I'm having trouble finding a parking space
because mongo things are taking up two compact spaces. In case you're
wondering, I drive a Tercel station wagon, turns on a dime, parks in
almost any space.
For the year 2000
Esther A. Heller, Independent Consultant and Trainer
- Womens' voices must be heard.
This is actually my theme for the year. As the National Women's
History Project says 1900-2000 was an extroidinary century for
women. They add "Now, imagine in the future!" I think women need
to do more than imagine.
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Last updated February 22, 2001